Was Sanskrit ever spoken by "all"?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Feb 21 17:18:11 UTC 1996

	An interesting further dimension of "spoken" Sanskrit may be
extracted from all those ritual performative texts in which women, and
members of classes other than Brahmans, are expected to say something,
not just recite, in Sanskrit.  A number of such "women's Sanskrit
utterances" may be found Stephany Jamison's fascinating book
"Sacrificer's Wife / Sacrificed Wife".
	Madhav Deshpande