numerical value of devanagari

Axel Michaels michaels at relwi.unibe.ch
Mon Feb 19 11:39:46 UTC 1996

Request: I am looking for detailed information on the numerical value
of devanagari consonants. Bhaaskararaaya mentions a few examples such as pa
meaning the number one and ra meaning the number two (pakaara
ekasa.mkhyaayaa vaacako rephastu dvitvasa.mkhyaayaa.h). He also gives a
short quote of Varuci on the topic (quote starts with
ka.tapayavargabhvairiha ...) and says that the counting should be from
right to left.
I would greatly appreciate any help about more details
concerning the numerical value of all devanagari consonants (and vowels) -
from Tantric sources and from Varuci's treatment of the topic.
Thank you very much,
Annette Wilke, c/o Inst. f. Religionswissenschaft Bern, Prof. Michaels