Address

Steiner Roland steiner at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Fri Feb 16 07:41:14 UTC 1996

On Wed, 14 Feb 1996 18:08:18 GMT, Kenneth G. Zysk wrote:

>I should appreciate it if someone could provide me with the current
>address of the Pali Text Society in the UK. Thanks. K. Zysk

Pali Text Society,
73 Lime Walk,
Headington,
Oxford OX3 7 AD.
Roland Steiner
Department of Indology, University of Marburg
Wilhelm-Roepke-Strasse 6F
D-35032 Marburg
Germany
Tel.: 06421/282184
Fax: 06421/288913
email: steiner at mailer.uni-marburg.de

Date: 16 Feb 96 12:27:00 EST
From: P.Friedlander at wellcome.ac.uk
Subject: Manuscript sales

I am not sure if this is an appropriate thing to introduce in this forum but
I think that it is important.
A manuscript dealer here in London is about to produce an illustrated
catalogue of 175 manuscripts they have to sell in Sanskrit, Tibetan, Hindi
and other languages. I have seen quite a few of them and some are very
interesting. For instance: Gupta fragments of Buddhist canonnical works, an
illustrated life of Mirabai, a large and unusual janamasaki collection from
Amritsar of c. 1800, a fine ms of Banarasidasa's works copied in Agra by a
third generation disciple of Banarasidasa, etc.etc.
On the one hand if anyone were interested in buying any of them I could pass
your name on to the dealers.
On the other hand there is the issue of whether anyone should buy them or
not. In a way the sale of manuscripts is not a thing to be encouraged as it
may cause further 'exports' from South Asia and elsewhere.
On yet another hand if they are here, then it is a pity if they go into
private collectors hands rather than into libraries where they can be
generally accessible.
I find myself unable to decide what is the morally correct attitude to this
issue.
Peter Friedlander