Kashmir Shaivism

Enrica Garzilli garzilli at shore.net
Fri Feb 16 00:57:53 UTC 1996

The term "Kashmir Shaivaism" was first introduced by S. C. Chandra
Chatterji in his book *Kashmir Shaivism* (Srinagar 1914, KSTS), p. 1. He
writes: "The first beginnings of what has been called [!?] 'Kashmir
Shaivaism', to distinguish it from other forms of Shaivaism known and
still practised in different parts of India,...". He put together the
texts of this system (called svAtantrya-vAda, AbhAsa-vAda, trika by
Abhinava, etc.) and established the KSTS and the term itself (even though
G. Buehler in 1877 published on these texts the *Detailed Report of a
Tour in Search of Sanskrit Manuscript*). MAdhava in XIV cent. deals with
4 Shivaite schools, one of them being the PratyabhijJnA, which is part of
the Trika system. No mention of any "Kashmira" school.
After Chatterji the system was called with many variants of his terminolgy.
(KSemarAja in his PHr distinguishes between the Tantra, Kula, and Trika
systems...I mean that there are also variants and overlapping as regards
the names of the various schools -- see the Introduction to my *The
BhAvopahaAra of CakrapANinAtha*, Supplemento n. 74 agli ANNALI, vol. 53,
IUO, Naples 1993)
Well, from Ziva ---> Zaiva, from Shiva ---> Shivaite, I suppose (in English).

However, why don't you turn the question also to the IJTS readers?:)

Enrica Garzilli
Harvard Law School