Holi discussion.

Gerard Huet Gerard.Huet at inria.fr
Mon Feb 12 16:39:02 UTC 1996

Hello. I am a little bit frustrated about this thread. Many methodological
points have been discussed, and some scholarly discussion about Christmas
and Saturnalia has begun, but no discussion so far about the religious
significance of the Holi festival. Maybe everyone knows the basics,
but since at least I do not, let me display my ignorance blatantly.

Holi occurs the day after `phAlguna pUr.nimA', also called `dolA pUr.nimA'
which means ``full moon of the swing''. This is a feast celebrating the
youth of K.r.s.na. For instance, a pratimA of Jagannatha is swung at the moon
light on a swing erected for this purpose near the Jagannatha temple in PurI.

Apparently, the name of Holi is connected to HolikA, a rAk.sasI who
is either the sister or the niece of PrahlAda, the pious son of
Hira.nyakas'ipu, the king asura who was shredded to death by Narasi.mha.
The name HolAkA seems to be the proper sanskrit name for the festival,
according to Monier-Williams.
It might be a corrupted composite from horA (hour, horoscope, zodiac)?

Any learned pa.n.dita among you may care to comment and explain?

Gerard Huet