"Lascivious" Iconography

David Magier magier at columbia.edu
Mon Feb 12 14:43:49 UTC 1996

> If US laws are getting so tricky that you can't publish tantric imagery of
> a sexually explicit nature in the IJTS, why not publish it from a
> Scandinavian server? We're not so hung up as Americans are, and anybody
> trying to prosecute people here for showing pictures from Khajuraho would
> be laughed out of court.

Unfortunately, the new champions of 'decency' have designed the law in
such a way that any US internet access provider (e.g a public net
terminal in a University Library, etc. etc.) might be prosecuted for
providing *access* to the Tantric art, regardless of the location of
the server on the internet...

David Magier
Columbia University