maRai, its meaning; WHOSE VEDA? - Bhaashya

MDSAAA48 at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN MDSAAA48 at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN
Mon Feb 12 08:00:10 UTC 1996

What is the meaning of maRai in Tamil?

maRai = concealment (puRanA.50); secret (kuRaL, 590); the vEdas, as secret
(tol.ezhut.102). It would appear that the secrecy is the key attribute of
the vedic
tradition continued by the siddhas of Tamil alchemical lore. In Tamil vedi-iyal
connotes alchemy.

The links with veda and Tamil may also be found thru Malayalam.

Dr. Kalyanaraman, Indus Sarasvati Research Centre, Madras.