"minor" Upanishads

filipsky at site.cas.cz filipsky at site.cas.cz
Sun Feb 11 20:41:13 UTC 1996

>     I would very much appreciate any bibliographic information about
>serious studies or articles done on two "minor" Upanishads: the
>Paramatika Upanishad and the Ekakshara Upanishad, both of which are found
>in the Mantra Prasna of the Vaikhanasas.  Both Upanishads are also found
>in the large compendium of Upanishads called the Upanisat-samgraha,
>edited by Professor J. L. Sastri.
>      Thank you very much for any help in this regard.
>Howard Resnick
>Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies
>Harvard University

    As regards the Ekakshara Upanishad, the text of which can also be found
in "The Samanya Vedanta Upanishads with the commentary of Sri
Upanishad-Brahma-Yogin, ed. by Pandit A. Mahadeva Sastri, Adyar 1921, pp.
106-110, as well as in One Hundred & Eight Upanishads... ed. by Wasudev
Laxman Shastri Pansikar, Bombay 1925, pp. 426-7, there is a brief English
summary of its contents by N.S. Subramanian in his Encyclopaedia of the
Upanisads, Oriental University Press, London 1986, pp. 158-159, which can
however be hardly called a "serious" study.
Jan Filipsky <filipsky at orient.cas.cz>