Discussion on Holi

ACHARB at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU ACHARB at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU
Thu Feb 8 19:07:51 UTC 1996

I agree with the deep concerns expressed by M. Rajagopalan about the wrongs of
the past, the motivation of the early Indologists in denegrating hinduism and
other non-christian religions.  I was not particularly surprised at the
lightning quickness with which some of the members responded to his initial
comments,which were in some sense born out of frustration.  Now, some
recognition of the wrongs of the past have been aired.
Even if "chaos" is a theoretical concept which has already been applied in the
European context, it does not follow that it is an appropriate tool or model
applicable to the Indian context, in view of the decidedly more complex nature
of the latter.
I also think that the suggestion of Narahari Rao that a study of Indology
itself may be undertaken. I suggest that a discussion of the beginnings, early
history, evolution and maturing of Indology as a discipline may be started on
the list. I hope this will bringout the biases that were inherent in the olden
days and that might still be continuing.  I have a vested interest in ancient
Indian astronomy an dI will add my comments. sincerely,- B. N. Narahari Achar