Holi discussion.

WILLIAM HARMAN WHARMAN at DEPAUW.EDU
Thu Feb 8 17:55:10 UTC 1996

I think an analysis of New Year's eve as a chaotic interlude before the
beginning of a new calendrical year would be more applicable than would
the notion of a Christmas party, though the two are not necessarily
separable. New Year's eve can vary, but in my experience involves wild
celebration, chaotic noise making (and noise makers), the donning of
new roles or disguises with the wearing of hats and the indiscriminate
dissolution of normal barriers determining with whom one may be either
familiar or affectionate. I would certainly maintain that it constitutes
ritualized chaos. I hope I can do so without being accused of racism.

					W. Harman