Sogdian Buddhists

0622660198-0001 at t-online.de 0622660198-0001 at t-online.de
Thu Feb 8 08:05:00 UTC 1996

Does anybody know a reliable (quotable) publication on the religion(s) of the
Sogdians? What I need to know for sure is that they were not only Zoroastrians
but also Buddhists and that they contributed in the propagation of Buddhism.
IŽve found only one very short reference by Oskar von Hinueber so far and I
could use some more.
WeŽve got lots (over 500) Sogdian inscriptions in Shatial (Upper Indus Valley,
Pakistan), some of them seemingly in connection with drawings of Stupas, and I
try to determine whether they do belong together or not.
In case Nicholas Sims-Williams reads this, sorry for not asking you directly!

Dr. Ditte Koenig
Heidelberg Academy of Sciences
Rock Inscriptions in the Upper Indus Valley
eMail: 0622660198.0001 at t-online.de