Misconceptions of Jainism; the Jains of North America (fwd)

Amardeep Salgia asalgia at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 7 19:18:58 UTC 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 13:10:46 -0600 (CST)
From: Amardeep Salgia <asalgia at ux7.cso.uiuc.edu>
To: jain-list at wavefront.com
Subject: Misconceptions of Jainism; the Jains of North America

research project on the Jain society of the Chicago area, I forwarded the
following essay to the individual involved in the study.  The areas of
interest were media coverage of the Jains and misconceptions of Jainism.

	The essay is an (unfinished and unedited) version of a 'foreword' to
a compilation of academic and religious articles which I am working on with
other members of the Jain group at the University of Illinois at Urbana-
Champaign.  In it, I deal directly with the some of the many
misconceptions of Jainism that the past couple of centuries of
(non-Jain) writings and perceptions have spawned.

	For the purpose of discussion and the promotion of seious educational
endeavors of lasting consequence, I am submitting this 'foreword' to the list.

--
Amar Salgia
URH 224 Townsend
asalgia at uiuc.edu

				  FOREWORD

	As ordained by Lord Mahavira, the twenty-fourth and last
Tirthankara of the present era, the Jain Sangh, or Order, consists of
four types of human beings:  Sadhu, Sadhvi, Shravak, and Shravika
(respectively, Jain Monks, Nuns, Male Householders and Female
Householders).  For well over two and a half millenia, this Order has
remained more or less intact on the Indian subcontinent, where every one
of the Tirthankaras were born.  The Sadhus and Sadhvis, having renounced
all ties to the material world, live in complete adhereance to the Five
Mahavrats, or great vows.  For the Shravaks and Shravikas, those Jains
who live in society and who are therefore bound by material means, the
Sadhus and Sadhvis are thus the spiritual and moral guides, and the holy
examples of the ideal life.  Metaphorically, the Sadhus and
Sadhvis of the Jain Sangh are individually the embodiments of Jain
philosophy, Right Conduct, detachment, and serenity.  Their presence is
essential to the survival and sustainance of any Jain community.

	Most of the Jains of North America are either Indian immigrants
or their children.  Since the former were born primarily into Western and
Central Indian (Gujarati, Rajasthani, etc.) cultures, the religious
traditions, beliefs and practices which today dominate the Jainism of the
North American laity are marked by the influence of these cultures and
practices.  This cultural influence pervades the various rituals (e.g.,
arti, gheeboli, pujas, etc.), customs, and annual observances of the
Jains of North America.  Up to the present, the overriding direction
undertaken by the Jain community has been one duplication of the lay
Jain societies of Western and Central India, as evidenced through biases of
language, ritual, and terminology.

	Among the second generation of Jains, there is a growing concern
for the social and practical implications of Ahimsa.  There has also been
a significant interest among Jain youth for the future survival of
Jainism in North American society.  However, despite the efforts of a
handful of dedicated individuals, there has been no significant emphasis
on (1) the building of an educational infrastructure or (2)
self-improvement through spirituality, philosophical learning, and the
study of primary sources on Jainism (i.e., the Jain Scriptures).
Instead, "Indianness" and Indian-American social concerns preoccupy the
mind of the average Jain youth.  This is understandable since, more than
ever before, Jains are themselves making an effort to blur the
differences between their religion and that of the Hindus (and other
religious groups), usually with a very liberal understanding of
Anekantavad as justification.  Furthermore, Jains have been unwittingly
attacking their own religion and way of life through their acceptance and
regurgitation of the uninformed judgements and portrayals of non-Jain
scholars, which are dealt with below.  And, without the presence of Jain
Sadhus and Sadhvis, who are uncompromising in living their holy vows, and
who are not lax in the self-control and and detachment necessary for
Final Liberation, the Jain society of North America - and of all the
world - is, from an anthropological point of view, in a rather precarious
position.

	Apart from the generational gaps, apathy, and ignorance that
partially characterize the Jain community of North America, the youth
must contend with things more threatening to the long-term survival and
sustainance of the Jain community and way of life.  An exhaustive
exposition of these socio-religous factors, which seem to be inherent to
being a religious minority in the West, ought to be left to Jain
scholarship and anthopological investigation.  One of them, however, was
explained above and is the primary inspiration for compiling this book.

	Ever since the modern Western discovery of the Jains, Jainism's
philosophy, spirituality, and moral doctrines has been subject to several
well-circulated distortions and belittling portrayals.  These are
manifest in a number of contentions held by the non-Jain scholarly
community which are enumerated below.  Practically no effort has been
made on the part of the world Jain community to educate itself regarding
its own history and unique existence as a social entity.  Until the
present, the world Jain community, including that of North America,  has
been quite tolerant and accepting of such misguided evaluations of the
Jain religion.  Therein lies one threat to to the long-term survival and
sustainance of the Jain community and way of life; for generations can
pass with an ever-decreasing sense of social and religious identity, and
an ever-increasing tendency towards dissolution into the larger society.
These trends, among others, are already running rampant among the Jain
communities of India.  A vital part of the solution to their propogation is
whole-hearted investment in and promotion of Jain scholarship, which this
book is intended to help inspire in its readers.

The Prevailing Contentions.

	From non-Jain academic and religious circles, a number of
prevailing contentions and generalizations regarding the origins,
sociology, philosophy, personages, and actual practice of Jainism do not,
to varying degrees, correspond to reality.  They conflict with the
well-preserved Jain - and even Hindu - histories, philosophies, and
traditions, as well as the socio-religious experience of the Jains
themselves (which may be demonstrated by testimony).  These assertions
can be found written on the pages of most of the acclaimed works on
Jainism authored by non-Jains since the late nineteenth century.  Though
disagreement among scholars is natural and often beneficial, the
propounders of these postulates have effectively ignored the voluminous
bodies of evidence to their contrary.  The major views are the following (and
can be found, almost verbatim, in most encyclopedias):

	1.  "Jainism is an offshoot of Brahmanism.  Jain philosophy developed
	out of the Samkhya and Vedanta schools of Hindu philosophy, and the
	conduct and way of life of the Jain ascetics was derived from that of
	the Hindu Brahmins."

	2.  "Mahavira was the founder of Jainism.  He was greatly influenced
	by the Upanishadic texts and  the atmosphere of disdain towards the
	Brahmins, in which he grew up.  Under such influences, he adopted the
	doctrine of 'non-injury' [Ahimsa]."

	3.  "Jainism is a heterodox 'sect' which arose with Buddhism and the
	Ajivika sect as a protest against Vedic ritualism and the caste
	system.  Jainism, like its contemporary sect Buddhism, denies the
	authority of the Vedas and the Brahmanic social heirarchy.  It was
	founded in the sixth century, B.C. as a manifestation of the
	'intellectual ferment' of the world during that time."

	4.  "Jainism is a religion of the warrior caste [the Kshattriyas],
	and is the product of social tension that [supposedly] developed
	between the warrior caste and the priestly caste [the Brahmins] of
	ancient India."

	5.  "The Jain reverance for life has an animistic basis.  Jain
	asceticism, like all forms of Indian asceticism, came about as a result
	of the environmental instability of the Indian subcontinent."

	6. "The Jains are primarily merchants, bankers, and moneylenders, and
	form a small subcaste within the larger Hindu society."

	7.  "Jainism is atheistic.  It negates the value of human existence."

	8.  "Jainism is a religion of extreme asceticism.  It advocates
	committing suicide by starving oneself to death, and self-torture, as
	the holiest acts a Jain can perform."

 	Some of these contentions were first enunciated by Western
scholars who were (and, to a lesser extent, still are) accustomed to
understanding civilizations in terms of empires, ethnic and social
conflicts, and strictly dateable personages and events.  Therefore, their
treatment of India's history has, until relativly recently, been ridden with
over-generalizations and arbitrary quantizations of artificially
construed historical periods.  (For example, the orientalist Max Muller
produced the date of 1500 B.C. as the time of the composition of the first
Vedic hymns by first assuming that the Vedas were completed by 500 B.C., the
time of Gautama Buddha; then, considering the five parts of the Vedic
literatures - the Brahmanas, Samhitas, etc. - he arbitrarily assigned exactly
200 years to each  of the five.  Then, making another assumption that the
composition of these parts were confined to contiguous time periods,  he
added 500 + 5[200] = 1500 B.C. to obtain his dating of the Vedas.  To
this very day, Western scholars have anchored their scheme of Indias
religious and cultural history around the same date of 1500 B.C.; and
with linguistic arguments, the Sanskrit language has come to be
regarded as having began at that time.  Dating methods such as these, to
which the Jain tradition has also been subjected, are riddled with biases and
are therefore deplorable examples of counterproductive scholarship.)  Yet,
such contentions regarding Jainism have gone relatively unchallenged by the
scholarly community at large.  Each of them, however, can be found to be
either inaccurate distortions or, at best, premature conclusions.

Two General Approaches.

	Two general approaches to the study of Jainism and Jain society
appear have been undertaken by non-Jain scholars.  To Western scholars,
the Jains have generally been seen as an oddity in their perceived
framework of Indian civilization.  The division between the monk/nuns and the
laity, as well as the great fusion of theory and practice exemplified by the
conduct of the monastic and lay communities, are ceaselessly characterized by
some as having been born of primitive fears and taboos.  Jain philosophy and
cosmology, while incredibly accurate and  estimable in the context of
modern scientific thought, have received scant attention from Western
Indologists.   The philosophically based concepts of Ahimsa and
Anekantavad, two central and unique components of Jain philosophy and conduct,
are rarely given their due treatment.

	Rather, elements of the Jain world-view are excised from their
orderly contexts, stripped of their practical implications to the life of
the spiritual aspirant, and explained away with more denigrating
characatures:  "extreme asceticism", "hero-worship", "self-denial",
"world-negation", etc., all somehow rooted in environmental
impredictability.  And some, like the explanation for dharma and adharma
(the non-material media of motion and rest in Jain cosmology) as being
philosophical analogues of a kind of primitive Indian superstition of
good and bad "airs", are quite absurd.   Other products of this approach
are shown in contentions 4 through 8 in the above listing.  In short,
owing to the fact that the philosophy, social structure, and way of life
for which Jainism has stood, as a whole, simply do not fit into the
established Western scheme of Indology, the Jain philosophy,
spirituality, and moral doctrines are, in the mind of many an Indologist,
either non-entities, or, primitive anomalies born of unusual environmental
circumstances.

	The other approach places emphasis on evaluating Jainism's origins
and development before and during the lifetime of Mahavira.   Regarding
the Jain tradition, the central endeavor of many non-Jain scholars of
Indian origin has been to trace its philosophy and doctrines back to
Indian intellectual movements and Brahmanic sources.  The resulting
contentions appear in 1 through 4, above.  While scholars taking this
approach do tend to enter their treatment of Jainism with a mindset of high
estimation of Jain philosophy, spirituality, and moral doctrines, they
apparently encounter difficulty in perceiving in them any manner of
originality.  Though they may applaud  Mahavira and the Jains as important
players in the intellectual heritage of the subcontinent, they nevertheless
style them as uplifted dissenters or disgruntled Hindus, not as members of an
independent religious and cultural tradition (which, as earlier
mentioned, is a view inconsistent with the Brahmanic literature).  The
chauvinistic undertones of such contentions may also contribute to
grounds for their dismissal.

	These two trends in non-Jain pursuits in the study of the Jains and
Jainism must be thoroughly understood by the lay Jain community in order
for their effects on the Jains' perceptions of themselves to be apparent.
This endeavor of Jain scholarship needs to be directed towards three salient
goals:  understanding Jain philosophy and the Jain way of life for what they
truly are, and in the manner in which they were actually meant to be
understood; examining how common perceptions of Jainism and the Jains have
come to deviate so conspicuously from the actual Jainism of theory and
practice; and making final evaluations of the resulting conclusions in order
to fascilitate the easy affecting of change.