[mrabe at artic.edu (Michael Rabe): Re: urdu in pakistan (fwd)]

David Magier magier at columbia.edu
Tue Feb 6 21:14:43 UTC 1996

The South Asia Gopher contains a subsection known as ILM: Inventory of
Language Materials, which in turn contains a listing of all the known
language-study programs for South Asian languages. I reproduce below
the specific entry for the BULPIP program, which is located in Lahore.
The ILM listings can be accessed directly at the following URL:

gopher://gopher.cc.columbia.edu:71/11/clioplus/scholarly/SouthAsia/
 Teaching/ILM

Let me know if you need more information about The South Asia Gopher
itself.
David Magier
magier at columbia.edu
The South Asia Gopher

BERKELEY URDU LANGUAGE PROGRAM IN PAKISTAN
Center for South Asia Studies, 201 Moses Hall #2310
Univ. of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-2310
Phone:  510-642-3608
Fax:  510-643-5793
Email:  udrebba at uclink.berkeley.edu, csas at uclink.berkeley.edu

*Languages:  URDU.
*Duration:  30 weeks of intensive language instruction in two
       fifteen-week terms (with a long winter break in Dec-Jan
       and a shorter break in the middle of the spring), from
       October through June.  Applicants may apply for only one
       of the three terms, though this is not preferred.
       Instruction is provided by tutors arranged by the program.
*Eligibility:  US citizens or permanent residents may apply.
       FLAS fellowships may sometimes be used; inquire from the
       Program about other possible funding sources and
       arrangements.
*Applications due:  March 1st.

       A small program, flexibility, some travel within Pakistan.
The chance to live with a family in Lahore while studying is an
especially valuable part of the experience.  Field research by
participants is not permitted.
       "Plan A:  Before beginning the program, applicants must
have completed at least two years of Urdu and/or Hindi, or the
equivalent, and should have a good knowledge of the Urdu script.
Students having completed one year of Urdu and/or Hindi by June
1996 are eligible to apply if they intend to take an intensive
second-year summer Urdu/Hindi course at the University of
Washington, Seattle, or at the University of Wisconsin, Madison,
during the summer of 1996.
       Plan B:  Urdu language instruction will be offered to a
limited number of U.S. scholars conducting research in Pakistan.
We can accommodate all levels of ability; private tuition may be
secured on a contingency basis."