South indian incised mss

Kenneth G. Zysk zysk at is2.NYU.EDU
Mon Feb 5 15:25:24 UTC 1996

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Francois Voegeli wrote:
> Thank you very much for your prompt answer.
> In fact I have never been (for the moment) in a well-maintained
> ms-collection of the south but I would further like to know if you or
> anybody else on the network have witnessed the whole process of making a
> south-indian ms, from incising to inking, and if you could describe it more
> precisely or if you know any reference on that matter.
> As for the "anonymousness" of your message it could be that you sent it
> using the mail function of Netscape with which such things sometimes
> happen.
>
> Thank you for everything and best regards.
>
> Francois Voegeli
> Fac. des lettres
> Section de langues et civilisations orientales
> Universite de Lausanne
> BFSH 2
> CH-1015
>
> Tel.: (41.21) 692-2721
> Fax.: (41.21) 692-3045
> E-mail: Francois.Voegeli at orient.unil.ch

There is a fairly informative work that describes with illustrations the
techniques for inscribing palm-leaf manuscripts in Orissa--a tradition
that is still alive in Orissa. It may be helpful.

Subhas Pani, ed., Illustrated Palmleaf Manuscripts of Orissa. A selection
from the Orissa State Museum. Bhubaneswar: Dr. H.C. Das, Superintendent,
Orissa State Museum, 1984.

K. G. Zysk
New York University