Summer Sanskrit Query

tony_stewart at ncsu.edu tony_stewart at ncsu.edu
Thu Feb 1 13:41:04 UTC 1996

Dear Colleagues:

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to place students in a summer
intensive Sanskrit program?  I have three definites, possibly five, who are
desperate for Sanskrit.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony K. Stewart
Director
Triangle South Asia Consortium
Box 8101
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8101 USA
ph. 919/515-6335; fax. 919/515-7856; e-mail <tony_stewart at ncsu.edu>

Date: 01 Feb 96 17:06:00 EST
From: P.Friedlander at wellcome.ac.uk
Subject: re: NIA languages

In Anantadasa's Bhaktiratnavali of c. AD 1600 the author uses the term
Prakrit to refer to the language he uses. Yet this work is now referred to
as a Hindi work.
There is also a manuscript in this library that refers in its text to its
language as Sauraseni bhasa, a term I take as referring to a kind of
Prakrit. But this work is in a sort of Marathi.
There are also countless instances of 'Hindi' works referring to their
language as simply bhasa.
My question is: do list members know of interesting instances of NIA
language works referring to the language they are composed/spoken in .
For instance, does anyone know what is the earliest text that refers to
itself as being in Brajabhasa?
Dr Peter G. Friedlander
Cataloguer of Hindi and Panjabi Manuscripts
Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
183 Euston Road
London NW1 2BN
England
e-mail: P.Friedlander at wellcome.ac.uk