Assamese and Bengali programs

Joel Tatelman tatelman at total.net
Thu Dec 12 01:02:00 UTC 1996

Dear Katherine Ulrich,

I don't know of any place in Canada where one could study Bengali or
Assamese (except by hiring a tutor) and I'm not at all well informed
about the U.S.

I do know that one of my fellow students at Oxford, Paola Tinti, studied
Bengali with Dr. Sanjukta Gupta and Pali with Prof. Richard Gombrich
before doing pretty extensive fieldwork among Buddhist minorities in
Bangladesh.

I myself have never studied Bengali with Sanjukta or any one else; I can
say that Paola had only good things to say about her. From my own
experience, Sanjukta knows Sanskrit and scholarship and her own
traditional culture so well and is so well-disposed to students that
asking almost anything is bound to be rewarding.

Oxford might be a good place to do a thesis in Hinduism or Buddhism that
involved the study of written Bengali sources and/or fieldwork in a
Bengali-speaking region. However, if one wanted Bengali in the context of
modern South Asian politics or economics, Oxford, at least the 'Sanskrit
and Indian Studies Dept.', would probably not be the best choice. Having
said that, the place at Oxford for modern Asian Studies is St. Anthony's
College - what sort of programmes or facilities they have I don't know.
Michael Aris is a fellow at St. Anthony's. He's a Tibetanist and
historian of Bhutan and other Himalayan states.

I don't have an e-mail adress for Sanjukta Gupta, only the following
postal address:

                        Dr. Sanjukta Gupta,
                        The Oriental Institute,
                        Pusey Lane,