Q: earliest Muslims in South Asia

Sugandha Johar sjohar at library.usyd.edu.au
Sun Dec 8 23:51:04 UTC 1996

There are inscriptions from the western sea borard of Indi a- especially
around Konkan of the tenth century where some of the trustees for the temple
donations of Silahara kings were muslims - to name , ali, mohammad etc. (
see Mirashi edited inscriptions of Silahara kings)

Also, one of the viceroys/generals of the Rashtrakutas was a musllim.

Then there are some recent inscriptions discoverd around the Bombay area -
Dombivli is one of the places of discovery that I can remember that give
muslim names as kngs/subhedars - again of a quite early date, the precise
date escapes me, but can be found in a collection of inscriptions edited by
Prof. Deo and published by the Maharashtra govt.

Also I seem to recall refernces of treatises on the navigation in the Indian
Ocean written by someone with an islamic name who actually hailed from
gujerat - again the dates are quite early.
Sugandha