Folk Tale Query

vasu at religion.ufl.edu vasu at religion.ufl.edu
Sat Dec 7 15:19:52 UTC 1996

I believe this story is recounted in Kirin Narayan's book-- can't remember
the title off hand (it is not her fictional work Love, Stars and all that,
which is a wonderful, hilarious book).  Yes, it does sound like the good
luck-bad luck story, and I guess it is pan-Indian.  In the version I heard,
the king is caught by people who want to offer a human sacrifice, and of
course the "offering" has tbe be without blemish.  Best wishes,
Vasudha