Folk Tale Query

Satyanad Kichenassamy kichenas at math.umn.edu
Fri Dec 6 18:11:14 UTC 1996

There is a very similar story I was told as a child (we are Tamils): A
king cut himself and his chief minister applauded at the good news---the
minister was of course immediately jailed...  Later on, while traveling,
the king was caught by a tribe of cannibals who were looking for a
physically perfect king for their purposes. To their dismay, the king had
this small wound...and they had to release him. Is there proof that the
above is of foreign origin?

I hope this helps.

I haven't checked any of the standard sources (Panchatantra,
Tenali Raman, etc).

                                       S. Kichenassamy
                                       kichenas at math.umn.edu