painted goats

Klaus Karttunen KJKARTTU at Elo.Helsinki.fi
Thu Dec 5 14:20:38 UTC 1996

katherine eirene ulrich wrote:

>When I was in Maharashtra last summer, I saw cows, oxen, and goats that
>had
>been painted,
>some quite elaborately, in psychedelic colors; one person told me this
>was
>for a "local festival," but I never managed to find out more.

Long time ago I was in a Tamilnadu village during the Tamil New Year
festival (Pongal) and noticed a great number of bulls and buffaloes
painted for the festival. There was some talk about a buffalo sacrifice,
but majority of these animals had probably nothing to do with it.

Klaus