Humorous Aside

Alec McAllister ecl6tam at lucs-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Dec 4 11:25:34 UTC 1996

On  3 Dec 96 at 22:59, Lars Martin Fosse wrote:

>Part of the new deal we in my opinion need with "practical life" is to
>develop a rapport or common understanding - if you like: a common language -
>between the theoretical and the practical guys.

Heard yesterday in a radio interview with a scientist on Jan Mayen
Island: "Theory is when you understand everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works, but you don't understand why. In
this research station, we combine theory with practice: nothing
works, and we don't understand why."

Now there's a common language that we can all speak!  :-)

Alec.

Alec McAllister
Arts Computing Development Officer
Computing Service