painted goats

David Magier magier at columbia.edu
Tue Dec 3 21:22:11 UTC 1996

> Can somebody provide me with more information and/or reference on the
> custom of painting the goat's fur before sacrifice? It seems to be use
> in Nepal, and somewhere else??

I observed this also throughout Pakistan, as part of the Eid rituals.
It was explained to me that the purpose of painting is that it makes the
goat festive and attractive, which helps the family develop a sense of
attachment to this particular animal, so that the sacrifice becomes a
more poignant recreation of the sacrifice of Abraham.

David Magier
Columbia University