Translation help requested

Lawrence J. McCrea ljmccrea at midway.uchicago.edu
Sun Dec 1 21:16:34 UTC 1996

In message Sun,  1 Dec 1996 18:25:31 GMT,
  mgansten at sbbs.se (Martin Gansten)  writes:

> In a Sanskrit text I am currently translating, I found three words not
> listed in any of my dictionaries: (1) andolya; (2) vi.dvara; (3) du'scilka
> (this last word should have some astrological meaning). Does anyone out
> there know the meanings of these words? Thanks in advance.
>
> Martin Gansten
> mgansten at sbbs.se

     Andolya would seem to be the gerundive form of the verb andolayati
("oscillate, move to and fro"); Apte does not list this form, but does give
the verb and the verbal noun andolanam ("oscillation").  Du'scilka is
presumably a variant form of du'scikya, which Apte [in the appendix to the
fourth edition] defines as "an astrological term for the third raa'si from
the lagna"-- i.e. the third zodiacal house from the point at which the
course of a planet intersects the horizon.  Vi.dvara is a mystery to me, but
Apte does give the word vi.dvaraja ("born of vi.dvara") as a name for lapis
lazuli.  Hope this is of some help.

                                    Yours Sincerely,
                                          Lawrence J. McCrea
                                          University of Chicago