typing Indic

Jakub Cejka jakub at unipune.ernet.in
Thu Aug 29 20:55:31 UTC 1996

> It would be very valuable to have a consolidated scheme of typing for all Indian
> languages.   As well as the problem of consonants, there is also the question of
> how to type the short vowels e, o of Dravidian languages where the long vowels
> are the ones in Sanskrit (also Malayalam half short-u).   What about using  e",
> o", (and u") for these short vowels (or will some computers have problems)?
>
> Regards,  Tony Stone

Yes, I would be very happy to have such scheme, particularly if it is
accepted by most of the list members. That would make this never ending
discussion much more fruitful.

In that context I'd like to ask Lars Martin Fosse and other users of the
Tubingen Zurich formate (TZ) for Sanskrit (which I really prefer to the
other ones proposed here):   Has there been any attempt to type Dravidian
languages by extending the repertory of TZ format for the above mentioned
peculiar phonemes (while preserving the already-defined-for-Sanskrit way
of marking phonemes identical with Skt) ?  If so, share it with us ...

This should count in the fights which scheme is "better"; it will
obviously be the one allowing one smoothly combine lggs of all the Indian
language groups.

Mr. Jakub Cejka
Dept. of Sanskrit, University of Pune
Ganeshkhind, Pune, India  411 007