South East Asian Scripts

John Richards Jhr at elidor.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 08:14:40 UTC 1996

I have seen it suggested that the Indic alphabets used in South
East Asia (Khmer, etc.) are derived from the Grantha or southern Indian
script, not the Devanagari or northern Indian script.

If that is so, I'm wondering who used the Grantha script, e.g. were they
Indo-Aryan or Dravidian types?  Did they use it to write Sanskrit and
Pali?

The SE Asian countries have borrowed a lot of Sanskrit as well as Pali
vocabulary, so one must wonder in what script it came to them.

--
John Richards
Stackpole Elidor (UK)
jhr at elidor.demon.co.uk