review article Indian script

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at cco.caltech.edu
Tue Aug 27 04:48:58 UTC 1996

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Harry Falk wrote:

> both of them and they firmly believe in their C14 dates. But if you
> check the latest article in Cambridge Archaeological Journal 6,1 (1996),
> 73-97, you have to realise that their material is rather scanty: 8 sherds
> with 2 to 4 characters each. Their ideas about which character looks
> old and which does not displays a not too deep acquaintance with that
> script at all. They make a whole set of conclusions depend on
> their dating and their interpretation of the sequence of their sherds.
> There is something I cannot evaluate. On page 79 they state that
> "no Southern Hemisphere correction was used as the validity of such
> a correction in the latitude of Sri Lanka has yet to be
> established". What does that mean? Would such a correction change
> the dates to something earlier or later? What does that
> correction mean in those areas where it has been established?
> To make it short: I have severe doubts about the conclusions reached

Radiocarbon dating comes from measuring the residual radioactivity of C14
in samples. Carbon occurs naturally as three isotopes, C12, (the most widely
found), C13 and C14. C14 is a radio-isotope, which means that
it undergoes radioactive decay, with a characteristic rate. The half-life
of a radio-isotope is the time required for the amount of the
radio-isotope to decrease to half its initial value. According to the
laws governing radioactive decay, the half-life has a characteristic
value for each isotope, and is independent of the actual amounts of
radio-isotopes present.

Radiocarbon dating is useful for measuring the ages of fossils and other
organic matter, which have a high carbon content. The technique is based
on the fact that material buried in deeper layers is not in equilibrium
with the relative levels of different carbon isotopes in the earth's
atmosphere. As a result, the level of C14 in a sample from an
archeological excavation would be depleted. This gives a measure of the
age of the sample. Ideally, the geographical location of a find should
not affect its radiocarbon date. In reality, that is rarely the case.
There could be wide variations in the relative levels of carbon isotopes
depending both on the actual age of a sample and its geographical origin.

It turns out that the southern hemisphere correction for radiocarbon
dating is a result of the fact that the southern hemisphere has a much
larger proportion of its surface covered by oceans. Due to a difference
in the rates of absorption of atmospheric carbon dioxide and
equilibration with dissolved bicarbonate in the ocean, material found in the
southern hemisphere is usually dated with some corrections to dates
obtained in the northern hemisphere. Generally, the offset is of the order of
40 years, so that after the correction is made, radiocarbon dates from the
southern hemisphere will typically be some 40 years older. This
correction applies to terrestrial samples. Marine samples would have a
larger correction offset. One can imagine that a similar correction might be
significant if we are dealing with archeological samples from a small
northern hemisphere island where such oceanic exchange processes could be
important. Note that the size of this correction would depend upon the size
and the geological history of the island.

I checked up on this with Dr. Tom Higham from a radiocarbon dating
laboratory in New Zealand. His email to me is forwarded below. The website
mentioned in Dr. Higham's signature file has a very good collection of
resources for radiocarbon dating, including an informative page on standard
corrections to radiocarbon dating.

So it turns out that not applying the southern hemisphere correction to
the radiocarbon dating of Sri Lankan samples errs on the side of
caution, if at all.

S. Vidyasankar

ps. As an aside, it seems to be standard practice to date organic
residues found associated with inorganic finds from an archeological
excavation. This has some bearing on one of my earlier posts to this
list, where I discussed a review of the problem of "Vasishtha's head"
that was published in a Feb '96 issue of Frontline, an Indian newsmagazine.