WWW Database of Chinese Buddhist texts (fwd)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 22 13:53:46 UTC 1996

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 18:21:58 +0100
From: Christian Wittern <cwittern at conline.central.de>
To: asiandoc at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: WWW Database of Chinese Buddhist texts

Announcement
------------

Dear colleagues,

today I installed my WWW database of Chinese Buddhist texts in my Web
area at  http://www.gwdg.de/~cwitter/ and made it thus publicly
accessible. Please distribute this announcement and provide links
wherever it seems appropriate to you.

The WWW Database of Chinese Buddhist texts is a comprehensive
list of Chinese Buddhist texts. It currently contains 4375 texts by
1349 authors. It makes available conveniently all texts contained  in
the following collections or catalogues and provides convenient
cross-references among these sources of information:

1.Taishoo Shinshuu Daizookyoo
2.Tripitaka Koreana
3.Dainippon Zokuzookyoo
4.'A catalogue of the Chinese translation of the Buddhist
    Tripitaka' by Bunyiu Nanjio, Oxford 1883

There were two general aims in compiling this information:

 1.Linking entry numbers and references from different catalogues
    and collections to ease access to this information by
    researchers, and make it available online.
 2.Providing a seed crystal for information about Chinese Buddhist
    texts that are available electronically.

Information of the second type is not yet included in this release,
but I hope this will grow in the future following the public release
of the database.

The whole database is encoded in the Japanese encoding (ShiftJIS),
with additional characters made visible as graphical images. I hope
to make available a Chinese version at least downloadable for local
use, since online installation seems to be difficult because of space
limitations.

Christian Wittern                                              University of Goettingen
Ernst-Fahlbusch-Str.2                                   Department of East-Asian Cultures
37077 Goettingen                      Visit the WWW Database of Chinese Buddhist texts at
Tel. +49-551-378092                                          http://www.gwdg.de/~cwitter/