the oldest buddhist text found

Jerry.Losty at mail.bl.uk Jerry.Losty at mail.bl.uk
Thu Aug 1 15:19:02 UTC 1996

the British Library's Oriental and India Office Collections, to make the
following statement about the British Library-University of Washington Buddhist
documents project. It is actually premature to make a more detailed announcement
than what has appeared in the press, as we are literally in the 'cataloguing
stage' - deciphering, transliterating, arranging and rearranging fragments, and
trying to identify the Buddhist canonical texts represented by comparison with
other language versions - a laborious and lengthy process.  However, the
following steps are being taken:

a) a short statement (plus sample picture) will be appearing a.s.a.p. on OIOC's
home-pages on the British Library's WWW link PORTICO -
http://portico.bl.uk/oioc/

b) in collaboration with the University of Washington, the BL is planning to
publish an overview volume on the scrolls in perhaps a year or so.

c) Professor Richard Salomon will be making interim reports to various academic
conferences e.g. that of the American Oriental Society in Miami.

jerry.losty at bl.uk