kArikA cont.

lusthaus at macalstr.edu lusthaus at macalstr.edu
Sun Apr 28 10:48:58 UTC 1996

I've been watching this thread with interest. So far, however, the
discussion has overlooked other texts titled kArikA -- several texts of
NAgArjuna pop to mind: mUlamadhyamakakArikA, SUnyatAsaptati-kArikAnAma and
pratItyasamutpAdahRdaya-kArikA being the best known.

Are these the earliest Sanskrit texts attested with the title kArikA, or
are there any known earlier examples? NAgArjuna easily predates GaudapAda
and the SAMkhya-kArikA by centuries. I hadn't given this much thought until
the present discussion began.

Dan Lusthaus
Macalester College