H-ASIA: Burton Stein

Frank Conlon conlon at u.washington.edu
Sat Apr 27 19:50:01 UTC 1996

Friends:

This cross-post from H-ASIA will convey briefly the news concerning the
death of Burton Stein yesterday in London.

Frank Conlon

                                H-ASIA
                            April 26, 1996

Burton Stein
From: Frank F. Conlon <conlon at u.washington.edu>

I have just had word from Peter Robb at SOAS that Professor Burton Stein
died this morning.  Burt had been seriously ill with cancer for some
months.  I anticipate that a more formal obituary will be forthcoming on
H-ASIA, but I trust that you will indulge me on this, as I am not quite
able to take up that project just now.  I first encountered Burt as a
graduate student in 1960, and his guidence and critical encouragement did
much to form my research and teaching.  As his fertile mind was eternally
young, it was not easy to realize that he would not go on forever,
generating fresh ideas and insights on the shape of Indian history.

Frank Conlon
University of Washington