Reference Books on Sanskrit Linguistics and/or phonology

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Apr 26 10:48:45 UTC 1996

	The book Jonathan Silk refers to is James Bare's dissertation at
the University of Michigan : Phonetics and Phonology in Panini, the
System of Features implicit in the AzTaadhyaayii.  This was published in
the series Natural Language Studies, No. 2, Department of Linguistics,
the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, March 1980.  It has a lot of
useful discussion of the PraatiSaakhyas, Sikzaas and Panini.  The book is
difficult to purchase these days, but I have a few copies, which I am
willing to send for free to interested scholars.  One would need to send
me some money to cover the mailing costs.  Please contact me separately at
mmdesh at umich.edu.
	A second book coming up is my annotated critical edition of
Saunakiiyaa Caturaadhyaayikaa (Whitney's Atharva-PraatiSaakhya) with
three commentaries and translation.  This book should be published within
the next few months and it has extensive discussions on this topic, both
in the notes and in the introduction.
	Madhav Deshpande