Music: form, tambura

J.Napier J.Napier at unsw.EDU.AU
Wed Apr 24 01:18:57 UTC 1996

>On Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:25:54 BST,
>  Jon Skarpeid writes:
>

>>North Indian classic music consist on four elements, the drone, the melodi,
>>the second melodi and drums.
>>
>>1. Is there any book/articles available which discuss this form or four
>>elements in Indian music?  I havn't found any.
>>
>>2. Is there any book/articles available that deals with the "drone"?
>>       I havn't found any.
>>
>>3. Contain "classical indian literature" any reference to the tambura?
>>

>>Jon Skarpeid

My apologies if this message is "late", and if it has already appeared. I
have been having difficulty in sending messages to this address.

To the best of my knowledge, the drone is not mentioned before
the dates given by several other respondents.

In looking at the early musical treatises, the other three elements are
there. However, it is often difficult to determine whether a passage refers
to the secondary melody or the drums, since the same word vaadya is used to
signify both the drums and the instruments that supply the secondary melody
with which the voice is accompanied.

On the subject of early references to drones, I recently read a reference
in Chitrabhanu Sen's "Dictionary of Vedic Rituals" to the upagaatr: "a
subordinate chanter, chorister; there are at least 4 upagaatr who say "ho"
continuously in a low tone".

Aside from the references given by Sen to the Laatyyaayana and Apastamba
srautasutras, can anybody tell me a little more of this practice, or
further sources for it. I am a student of modern Indian music, rather than
a scholar of Sanskrit, so my efforts to decipher Sanskrit are rather
tenuous.

Thanks

John Napier