Music: form, tambura

dmenon at pacific.net.sg dmenon at pacific.net.sg
Mon Apr 22 01:59:27 UTC 1996

Hi,

On the subject of the drone, in the Temple music of Kerala, the 'Kurru
Kuzhal' (something similar to the Shahnai {spelling?}) is used to give the
drone. This is especially noticable in the performance called 'Kuzhal Pattu'
esentially a musical dialog between the Kuzhal and 'Chenda'. The use of
Kurru Kuzhal for the drone is at least a few centuries old. This is a very
labourious task since the person producing the drone has to continously blow
without a break for the 20+ minutes that takes to complete the Kuzhal Pattu.
Needless to say there are only a few people alive who can still do it.

Regards...Das