Q: New Year

soumitra at ix.netcom.com soumitra at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 17 05:34:12 UTC 1996

You wrote:

>>Apri 13, 1996 (solar). Thais and Khmer also follow solar calendar,
>The last 13 April was Thai new year. Af far as I know, the exact day
also
>varies every year according to the moon.
>
>A.V.

>Alfredo Villarroel
>Max-Planck-Institut fuer medizinische Forschung
>Jahnstr. 29
>D-69120 Heidelberg
>e-mail alfredo at sunny.mpimf-Heidelberg.mpg.de
>FaX: (06221) 486-459

We bengalis have a beautiful method. We always had the debate of the
solar and the lunar calendar.Akbar (though he was very unpopular and
could not get a strong foothold) started bengali calendar in
concordance with the Muslim Hiri calendar, but he made some sort of a
compromise with all the hindu pundits(in favour of Solar) and Muslim
ulemas(in favour of lunar ) and invented this BEngali calendar which
has both the elements , very interestingly it goes along with the
English calendar, we have bothe solar and lunar phases in our calendar.