Q: New Year

Girish Beeharry gkb at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 16 08:35:21 UTC 1996

Hi,

>April 13th, or thereabout, is the time when the sun enters Aries
>(meshasaMkrAnti), the first sign of the zodiac, according to the nirayana or
>sidereal system followed in most of India. This system takes into
>consideration the precession of the equinox, i.e., the fact that the
>position of the earth in relation to the fixed stars changes slightly with
>every year, so that if one's birth sign according to Western astrology is
>Aries, it is likely that the sun was in fact in Pisces at the time of his
>birth. At present, the precession (ayanAMs'a) is around 23-24 degrees; there
>are some differences of opinion as to the exact value.

As far as I know, the origin of the system is near or at the star zeta Piscis.
This star lies quite near the ecliptic (or zodiacal line). If the ecliptic is
then divided into 12 equal lengths, and this star is asumed to be the origin,
then the ayanaamsha can be calculated reasonably accurately.

Makar Sa.nkraanti marks, as you know, the start of the apparent movement of the
Sun towards the North (uttaraayaNa).

bye,

Girish Beeharry