Conspiracy theory

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sat Apr 13 17:32:34 UTC 1996

	To add to Tim's interesting comments, one should realize that
Brian K.  Smith believes that the Varna system is a continuity of the IE
tripartite classification a la Dumezil.  Whether one agrees with this
thesis, and I personally have grave doubts about this, the Varna could not
be a conspiracy of the Brahmins, or of any one group for that matter, if
it is a continuity of the IE classification.  As for B.K. Smith's own
analysis, I think it is historically deficient at least in two ways.  It
argues for the continuity of the so-called tripartite classification,
while ignoring the historically most important fact that the word Varna,
before it is applied to Brahmanas, Kzatriyas, VaiSyas and Suudras, appears
to have been applied to a two-fold classification, i.e. Arya-varna and
Dasa-varna in the Rigveda.  Secondly, it ignores the entire discussion of
the possibility that a good deal of Jati categories may go back to
pre-Aryan past.  Having said that, I do like Smith's work to the extent
that it elaborates the application of the Varna categories by the
Brahmanical tradition to various groups beyond the human, and he brings
out the very important features of the horizontal and vertical groupings
marked through these devices.
	Madhav Deshpande