Conspiracy theory

Tim Cahill tcahill at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Sat Apr 13 14:55:47 UTC 1996

To the List,

'conspiracy theory' of brahminical orthodoxy  I'd like to mention Brian K.
Smith's very detailed work "Classifying the Universe" (Oxford 1994). He
begins his conclusion: "The varna system examined in this book supplied
its propogators with a contrivance for classifying -- and thereby knowing
and controlling -- the universe in its entirety." (p.314) Personally I
don't buy it -- seems to me they would have cut themselves a better deal!
But Smith presents an interesting case (or, indictment), and only after a
very thorough study. His treatment covers classifications of the
Universe, Society, Gods, Space, Time, Flora, Fauna, and Revelation.

   Incidentally, the conclusion also includes a quote from M.N. Srinivas:
"Varna systematizes the chaos of jatis and enables the sub-castes of one
region to be comprehended by by people in another area by reference to a
common scale." (Rel. & Soc. among the Coorgs 1952, p.25)

itlu,  Tim Cahill