Debates

Francois Quiviger francois at sas.ac.uk
Thu Apr 11 17:04:14 UTC 1996

Dear Indologists,

I am following with keen interest the posting on debating in India.
Can anyone recommend some literature on *Indian* accounts of religious
debates with Christians? I am thinking for example of
Francis Xavier, or Roberto De' Nobili's mission in 17th century
Madurai and of course the debates at the court of Akbar the Great. Usually
we know of this type of event through the reports of the missionaries,
but I would be very interested to ear about Indian accounts.

		With many thanks in advance.