New issue/ E.J. of Vedic Studies

witzel at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU witzel at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU
Sat Apr 6 05:03:10 UTC 1996

The editors of the Electronic Journal of Vedic Studies
take pleasure in announcing a new issue: Vol.2, issue 1.

At the beginning of its second yearthe journal has some
350 subscribers now.(You can subscribe by a messsage to
ejvs-request at shore.net or under "how to subscribe" at
www.shore.net/~india/ejvs.

EJVS 2-1 contains:

Editorial:
     by M. Witzel

Announcement:
     L. Renou's "Kleine Schriften"
     by B. Oguibenine

Article:
     ON NEWLY FOUND MSS. OF THE VAADHUULA SCHOOL OF THE YAJURVEDA
     by Y. Ikari, Kyoto U.

The Vaadhuula zaakhaa is a sub-school of the Taittiriiya zaakhaa of the
Black Yajurveda. It is little known and has been studied even less. As
such, it is one of the elusive zaakhaas that need urgent exploration and
study.

We especially urge our Indian colleagues (and all those South Asians in
the west who make the occasional trip back home to BhaaratavarSa) to
undertake such surveys in other parts of the country as well. We will
gladly publish any "travel" reports you send to the journal. For
example, we do not know anything of value about the Vedic tradition of
Assam (and Manipur!), and the elusive Carakas of rural Maharashtra should
also be investigated finally. Western Nepal, Uttarakhanda and Himachal
Pradesh are some other good cases to be investigated closely. (If members
are interested, the available information on rare schools or unexplored
parts of the subcontinent will be published here to facilitate field
trips.)

We therefore are most grateful to Y. Ikari for actually having undertaken
several field trips to Madras and Kerala to recover some of thelast
vestiges of this once important school of the Yajurveda which can be
traced back all the way to eastern U.P. during the late Vedic period....

As the present article indicates there is not only much new material but
the older (partial) editions of Caland, Sparreboom & Heesterman, and
Chaubey all need to be revised in this light. On a personal note I may add
that I gave up the idea to publish the BraahmaNa and Zrautasuutra on the
basis of the Madras MSS. in 1979 when I learned from D. Bhattacharya (then
at Hoshiarpur) that B. Chaubey was working on the text -- retrospectively
a felicitous decision, as all materials available then were quite defective.

We look forward to Prof. Ikari's new edition which is beginning to appear
now (in Zinbun, the Journal of the Institute for Studies of Humanities of
Kyoto University, May 1996).

Michael Witzel                              Department of Sanskrit
Wales Professor of Sanskrit                 and Indian Studies
Chair, Committee on South Asian Studies     53 Church Street
Harvard University                          Cambridge MA 02138, USA

phones: - 1- 617 - 495 3295 (messages)      Electronic Journal of
                   496 8570                 Vedic Studies
fax:               496 8571                 EJVS-list at shore.net
email:  witzel at husc3.harvard.edu
                                            http://www.shore.net/~india/ejvs