Vikram Seth - I

Jan.Dvorak at ff.cuni.cz Jan.Dvorak at ff.cuni.cz
Thu Apr 4 09:16:16 UTC 1996

Dear colleagues,

doing some editorial work on the Czech translation of the book
Vikram Seth: A suitable boy. Phoenix House, London, 1993,
I come across some problems of various nature. I'm going to
write a series of questions on this topic to the INDOLOGY forum and hope
some native speakers of Hindi/Urdu or some other scholars could help me.

---------

On p. 48 the following saying occurs:

"Don't add chillies to boiled potatoes."

Is this an idiomatic expression or a proverb? Can anyone explain me what
should be the proper meaning of this phrase?

Thank you, Jan Dvorak <dvorakj at dec59.ruk.cuni.cz>