Debates

R.W.Perrett at massey.ac.nz R.W.Perrett at massey.ac.nz
Wed Apr 3 21:01:39 UTC 1996

Domnik wrote:

>Bimal Matilal's inaugural lecture at Oxford, entitled "The logical
>illumination of Indian mysticism" contained quite a lot on the formal
>rules of debate as presented in nyaya literature.  I think this essay
>was reprinted somewhere in one of his later books.

This lecture was published by OUP as a separate pamphlet with that title.
My Indian impression published by OUP India is dated Delhi, 1978;  the
title page of this indicates that the work was first published by the
Clarendon Press, Oxford 1977.  I don't believe this lecture was reprinted
in any of Matilal's later collections.  However there is also some material
on debate and dialectic in his *Perception* (Oxford, 1986).

email: R.W.Perrett at massey.ac.nz