brahmodyas

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Apr 3 12:24:17 UTC 1996

	In connection with the tradition of debates in India, one can also
look at the continuation of this tradition in modern times in traditional
institutions and forums of Sanskrit learning.  Around 1962 in Pune, there
was an all India Panditasabhaa in which there was open-ended debate in
Sanskrit on many Shaastras for three days.  I was trained by my teachers
in Pune to take part in a debate on some topic in Sanskrit grammar.  There
are annually held debate competitions in Sanskrit on both traditional and
non-traditional topics in India.  For example, the Vikram University at
Ujjain holds an annual Kalidasa festival and part of the proceedings is an
inter-university Sanskrit debate competition.  Along with myself, Vidyut
Aklujkar, Saudamini Deshmukh, (late) Jayashree Gune, and others from Pune
took part in these competitions and won top prizes and trophies for Poona
University and the Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapith.  More traditional debates
are still organized through institutions like the Rashtriya Samskrit
Sansthan, various Sanskrit Universities, establishments like Shankar Mutts
and the like.  George Cardona has once told me how one of his Pandit
teachers in Banaras was visited by his opponents in the middle of the
night for a 'vaada on the spot'.  Thus, at least remnants of the classical
debates may still be found in India and can be studied.
	All the best,
			Madhav Deshpande