Datura in Saiva iconography

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Fri Sep 29 21:45:14 UTC 1995

At least going by the Marathi usage, Datura, which is probably the same
as Marathi Dhotraa, Skt. Dhattuura, is quite different from Mogara.
Dhotraa is a very large flower, each petal the length of a human finger.
Secondly, it has no fragrance.  Mogara is obviously fragrant.  The
Mogara, at least in its fragrance and shape is similar to another flower
called Jaai (Skt. Jaati) as well as a flower called Jui (Skt. Dyuti?).
It is interesting to note that the word Jaati (Marathi: Jaai) appears in
the lists of flowers and leaves to be offered at the special worship of
Ganesha and Gauri.  These lists, which I have at home, but not with me at
the moment, also include Dhattuura, but I don't remember anything
sounding like Mogara, unless it appears there under an unrelated Sanskrit
name.
	Madhav Deshpande