Norse AEsir and Vedic Asura.

P.Magnone at agora.stm.it P.Magnone at agora.stm.it
Thu Oct 26 16:35:19 UTC 1995

 _Asura_ as a-sura is believed to be a false etymology dating from the
 upanishadic period, when it accordingly led to the creation of a new
 word for "gods", _sura_, not attested in older texts.

 The word stems in all probability from _asu_ "vital breath" + _ra_,
 meaning something like "master of vital breath", and as such it is
 indeed cognate to Norse _ass_ (pl. aesir) (as well as to Avestic
 _ahura_).

Paolo Magnone
Catholic University of Milan
P.Magnone at agora.stm.it