Norse AEsir and Vedic Asura.

Peter D Banos pdb1 at columbia.edu
Thu Oct 26 13:33:28 UTC 1995

On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, Anshuman Pandey wrote:

> Is the Norse word for god, AEsir, a cognate of the Vedic, Asura? Does
> the AE in AEsir represent a negation of the word sir, as the a does for
> asura? I am wondering this because asura and AEsir are names for the
> older generation of deities in the Vedic writings and Eddic and other
> Norse writing, and am curious to know whether there is any common ground
> between the two.

Hmmn.
I'll have to check, but my impression is that in "AEsir" the
"AEs" is really the root of the word, and "-ir" merely a plural ending.
Old Norse tends to have -r in its endings where Greek and Latin have -s
and Skt has visarga (which also turns into -r under the right conditions!)

							-Peter D. Banos
							pdb1 at columbia.edu