Meaning of Panini

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Oct 18 13:15:29 UTC 1995

Let us not get carried away by the modern meaning of the word Pathan.
However, it is clear that Panini is called a resident of the town of
Shalaatura, which is identified with a locality near Peshawar.  I have
shown in some of my work that Panini exhibits his familiarity with the
linguistic facts of this northwestern frontier.
	Madhav Deshpande