Etymology of puujaa

kichenas kichenas at math.umn.edu
Fri Oct 13 17:19:03 UTC 1995

About W. Harman's remark on `orange,' shouldn't we look
at nArtta.nkAy rather than ARu or aintu?

                                Satyanad Kichenassamy
                                School of Mathematics
                                University of Minnesota
                                E-mail: kichenas at math.umn.edu

Date: 13 Oct 1995 12:03:12 EST
From: ALLEN W THRASHER <THRASHER at MAIL.LOC.GOV>
Subject: RECENT MOGUL GENEALOGY

          Does anyone know if there is anything published on  the genealogy
          of descendants of the Mogul dynasty AFTER 1957?  Also, can anyone
          confirm  or disconfirm my impression that  the British government
          of  India and  the  GOI after independence until the abolition of
          privy  purses  paid  small pensions to descendants of  the  Mogul
          emperors?  If  so, which office would have handled this  and  the
          genealogical record keeping necessary?  Finally, can  anyone tell
          me if there is a Waqf for Moguls in Delhi or elsewhere?

          I  ask because a patron wants  to investigate a  family tradition
          they are descendants of the last Mogul, Bahadur Shah Zafar.

          Thanks for any help,

          Allen Thrasher
          Library of Congress
          thrasher at mail.loc.gov