Etymology of puujaa

Asko H S Parpola aparpola at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 13 06:18:11 UTC 1995

I just pointed out that smearing (implied by the Dravidian etymology from
puucu 'to smear') constitutes an integral part of the early worship of
trees. I referred to Auboyer's book, where red-coloured powders and oils
are mentioned as the substances smeared on tree trunks. The
red-coloured powders surely are substitutes for the blood of sacrificed
victims, which continues being smeared on cult idols or trees in
connection with bloody offerings. Red powder/blood is applied also on the
forehead of human beings on such ritual occasions - this is the origin of
the forehead mark (Dravidian poTTu, Sanskrit tilaka, Tiikaa / Tikaa <
lalaaTikaa). The antiquity of the forehead mark and its Harappan /
Dravidian origin in India is discussed extensively in my book 'Deciphering
the Indus script' (1994), page 261-272.

---

Asko Parpola  (E-mail Asko.Parpola at Helsinki.Fi)
Department of Asian and African Studies, Univ. of Helsinki