Update on ftp server

John D. Smith jds10 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 6 15:34:04 UTC 1995

Since I made the existence of my ftp server known via Indology on July 3
of this year, 1440 file transfers have been made from it -- the greatest
bulk of them Mahabharata text, but with the Ramayana text, the fonts and
the programs following hard on its heels. This note is simply to inform
you (a) that since then I have made substantial further improvements to
the Mahabharata text (though perfection remains a long way off); (b) that
there are one or two new programs, including a simple metrical analyser;
(c) that there is a new section offering help to Unix users wishing to
make use of the CSX encoding; and (d) that the PC versions of the Norman
fonts for accented Roman have been modified to circumvent an infelicity
in Word for Windows. The original Macintosh versions of these fonts are
also now available for anonymous ftp download.

The server is bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk, and the material is stored in
directories branching out from /pub/john. It can also be reached via
Indology WWW page: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/indology.html.

Problems by email to jds10 at cam.ac.uk.

--
John Smith             Dr J. D. Smith, Faculty of Oriental Studies,
jds10 at cam.ac.uk        Sidgwick Avenue, Cambridge CB3 9DA