Hinduism and Buddhism/Jainism

pslvax!sadhu at ucsd.edu pslvax!sadhu at ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 6 16:55:34 UTC 1995

/ FROM:  Pratap Kumar <pixie.udw.ac.za!kumar at ucsd.UUCP>, Oct 6  8:34 1995
| ABOUT: Hinduism and Buddhism/Jainism
|

| Dear Colleagues:
|
| There seems to be a widely held perception that Buddhism and Jainism are
| "off-shoots" of Hinduism and developed their own metaphyisics in reaction
| to the Vedic tradition.  A colleague of mine holds this view very
| strongly.  I tend to think that it is an erroneous way of reading the
| history of Indian thought.  Both the Buddhist and the Jain traditions,
| like other systems of Indian Philosophy seem to have their independent
| sources of origin and have reacted to the Braahmana tradition.  They have
| perhaps more in common with the Sramana and Vraatya traditions.  I hope
| others would comment on this and clear some of the misreadings of the
| history of Indian thought.

sorry, disagree.  both these sprang up in the context of a hindu
culture.  they all share many facets in common.  differences, true,
but, there are just as many differences between various sects that are
considered part of hinduism.  remember, gautama was a hindu prince.
in our town, the jains come to our hindu temple and worship beside us.
the spiritual men amongst all these traditions see more similarity
than difference.

aum aum
sadhu